New tattooing, piercing and body modification laws
New tattooing, piercing and body modification laws came into force in South Australia on 15 November 2012.
Offences under the new Act
Under the Summary Offences (Tattooing, Body Piercing and Body Modification) Amendment Act 2011 it is an offence to:
- perform a body modification procedure (such as tattooing, body branding or ear stretching) or intimate body piercing on a minor under the age of 18 years
- perform a non-intimate body piercing on a minor who is under 16 years of age without the consent of a guardian
- perform a body piercing or body modification procedure on a person who is intoxicated (whether by alcohol or other substances)
- sell body modification equipment to a minor.
Information for traders
Information for businesses who provide tattooing, piercing and body modification services:
- Summary Offences Act: - link to www.legislation.sa.gov.au
- Summary Offences (General) Regulations - link to www.legislation.sa.gov.au