Information for Justices of the Peace (JP)

The Attorney-General's Department

Information for Justices of the Peace (JP)

Latest news and factsheets

The new Advance Care Directives Act 2013 (SA) and changes to the Consent to Medical Treatment and Palliative Care Act 1995 (SA) came into effect on 1 July 2014. These changes pave the way for a rights-based, person-centered approach to decision-making.
The new Advance Care Directive (ACD) Form replaces the Medical Power of Attorney, Anticipatory Direction and Enduring Power of Guardianship with a single ACD Form. The new ACD Form allows individuals to appoint one or more Substitute Decision-Makers and/or clearly document their values, wishes and instructions with respect to their future health care, end of life, preferred living arrangements and other personal matters.
The following fact sheet Changes to Advance Care Directives – Information for Justices of the Peace has been developed to assist JPs to understand the changes and the new witnessing requirements. 


Factsheet: Changes to Advance Care Directives (PDF 236.6KB)

For more information about ACDs or to download the ACD Form or DIY ACD Kit visit the Advance Care Directives website.

Advance Care Directives (ACD) Training

As mentioned above, on 1 July 2014 the Advance Care Directives Act 2013 (SA) commenced.

TAFE SA is offering a witnessing of ACD course which explains the purpose of an ACD, who can make an ACD and the witnessing procedures that should be followed by authorised witnesses. Authorised witnesses of ACD’s include Justices of the Peace, lawyers, doctors, nurses, pharmacists, teachers and public servants of more than five years standing.

 For more information about the TAFE SA course visit

What is the role of a JP?

The role of the JP is to act as an independent and objective witness to documents people use for official or legal purposes. For example, a JP may:

  • attest the execution of a document
  • witness an affidavit for use in court
  • witness a statutory declaration
  • certify a true copy of an original document
  • certify a person’s identity

Who are Special Justices?

Special Justices sit in the Magistrates and Youth Courts to hear minor matters. To become a Special Justice a person must be a JP and be selected to complete a TAFE SA course designed for Special Justices.

If you are a JP and interested in becoming a Special Justice contact Justice of the Peace Services to check your eligibility.

Are there JPs that speak other languages?

Yes. The Roll of JPs contains JPs who speak languages other than English. To find a JP who speaks a specific language, go to the online South Australian Justice of the Peace Roll and select the language by using the drop-down list.

How do I make a complaint?

Complaints against JPs who breach the Code of Conduct must be made in writing and lodged with Justice of the Peace Services. The person making the complaint must provide the name of the JP, the ID number (if possible) and details of the incident. Investigations of breaches of the Justice of the Peace Code of Conduct by Justice of the Peace Services may result in disciplinary action being taken against JPs under the JP Act and Regulations.

Complaint form

Complaints must be made on the Justice of the Peace Services feedback and complaints form:

How can I volunteer as a JP?

The Attorney-General Department’s JP Volunteer Service operates from Monday to Friday at Chesser House, Level 2, 91-97 Grenfell Street Adelaide and is looking for JPs who are interested in offering their time either in the morning (9am-1pm) or afternoon (1pm-5pm) at least once a month. For more information or to register your interest contact Justice of the Peace Services.

Councils, libraries, courts and community organisations also often provide a JP service to the community which you could become involved with. For more information contact your Local Council, library, court or community organisation.  

Can I use the title "JP (Retired)"?

JPs who resign after having served the office for 20 years can use the title “JP (Retired)”. Before you use this title check theJustices of the Peace Act 2005 and:

- 000 -


Last updated: 
Wednesday, 8 February 2017
Printer-friendly versionSend by email