The Sentencing Advisory Council assists the community to understand matters relating to sentencing.
Contact Sentencing Advisory Council
agd [at] agd.sa.gov.au
The Sentencing Advisory Council is an advisory board established to improve the quality and availability of information on sentencing in South Australia.
- prepares research papers, advice and reports on sentencing subjects
- makes recommendations to the Attorney-General
- publishes information relating to sentencing
- educates the public about sentencing matters
- obtains the community’s views on sentencing matters.
Report on mandatory minimum non-parole periods (PDF 950KM)
Mental Impairment and the Law (PDF 3.5MB) - A report on the operation of Part 8A of the Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935 (SA)
The Council is made up with representatives from the criminal justice system and people with diverse backgrounds from the broader community.
- The Hon John Sulan QC (Chair) - Former Justice of the Supreme Court
- Peter Alexander - Community representative
- Sam Abbott SC - Bar Association of South Australia Representative
- Assistant Commissioner Philip Newitt - South Australia Police Representative
- Jonathon Rice - Community representative
- Roseanne Healy - Community representative
- Commissioner Michael O’Connell APM - Commissioner for Victims’ Rights South Australia Representative
- Sandi McDonald - Director of Public Prosecutions Representative
- Frances Nelson QC - Expert member
- Greg Mead SC - Legal Services Commission of South Australia Representative
- Ian Leader-Elliott - Expert member
- Vacant - Law Society of South Australia Representative
- Vacant - Attorney-General’s Department Representative
Read about sentencing in South Australia.