Go to top of page

SA Classification Council

South Australia participates in a national scheme for the classification of films, publications and computer games. These items, if required to be classified, are classified by the national Classification Board. The classification applies in South Australia, unless the SA Classification Council (SACC) or the Attorney-General changes it.

Concerns and complaints

If you're concerned about the classification of a film, videotape, publication or computer game available in South Australia, first contact the national Classification Board.

If you're not satisfied with the response from the Classification Board, you can also complain to SACC. SACC can consider the complaint and can decide whether to classify the item differently. To complain to SACC:

  • email: agd [at] agd.sa.gov.au
  • post: South Australian Classification Council
    GPO Box 464, Adelaide, SA, 5001

Clearly identify the item and give details of what your concern is. SACC will consider your complaint and decide whether a change of classification is needed.

Exemption for films screening at a film festival or event

Some unclassified films that are screened at a film festival or event require an exemption from the national Classification Board. Films that have already been classified in Australia do not require an exemption to screen.

Under the Classification (Publications, Films and Computer Games) Act 1995, specific categories of films are exempt from classification because of their content. Therefore some unclassified films may require an exemption from the national Classification Board to screen at a film festival or film event. 

For more information visit the National Classification Board website.

TV, music lyrics, advertisements, or internet

SACC can only deal with films, publications & computer games.

If your complaint is about some other item, such as a television program, music lyrics, advertisement, or internet site see: