Forensic Science SA (FSSA) provides services to some of South Australia’s largest government departments and undertakes award-winning research in forensic science.
Contact Forensic Science SA
21 Divett Place, Adelaide SA 5000
9am - 5pm (out-of-hours deliveries must be pre-booked)
GPO Box 2790, Adelaide SA 5001
08 8226 7700
forensicadministration [at] sa.gov.au
08 8226 7777
Hair drug testing
Hair testing can show drug use within a particular time period if concentration is high enough to be detected.
Who should apply?
- Health professionals
- Police officers
- Accredited workplace drug testing agencies
Hair types and collection
Drug use can be identified in hair if concentration is high enough to be detected. However, the presence of a drug does not always prove drug use. Drugs can be detected in hair for different reasons, including external contamination.
Chronic drug use can also result in drugs being detected months after use has stopped. FSSA hair testing detects trace amounts and may not be suitable to prove abstinence from drug use.
Interpretation of results should be performed by an expert. Contact FSSA if an expert opinion report is required.
Request a collection kit and instructions
Fees and payment
Payment is required before the hair can be analysed. The cost includes a report but not an interpretative report or court appearance time.
You can pay by:
- cheque (made out to Forensic Science SA)
- credit card - call Forensic Science SA on 08 8226 7700 or use the bpoint payment system.
follow these prompts if using bpoint:
- Biller Code: Forensic Services
- Full Name: person paying for the testing
- Contact number/email: if FSSA needs to contact you
- Customer reference: subject’s name – eg the donor
- Amount (AUD): depending on the amount of segments
Drugs covered by the test
|Drug||Lower limit of reporting* (pg/mg||Uppper limit of reporting# (pg/mg)|
|delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)||50||
|3,4- methylenedioxy-methamphetamine (MDMA)||20||2500|
|3,4 methylenedioxyamhetamine (MDMA)||20||2500|
|benzoylecgonine (metabolite of cocaine)||20||2500|
|6-monoacetylmorphine (metabolite of heroin)||20||2500|
|7-aminoclonazepam (metabolite of clonazepam)||Reported as present only||Reported as present only|
|7-aminoflunitrazepam (metabolite of flunitrazepam)||Reported as present only||Reported as present only|
|7-aminonitrazepam (metabolite of nitrazepam)||Reported as present only||Reported as present only|
* Concentrations lower than the LLOR will be reported as 'not detected'
# Concentrations above the ULOR will be reported as 'greater than (ULOR)'
Note that the screening of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is performed using a separate procedure.
Hair sampling procedure
Use the collection kit provided by FSSA and follow the hair sampling procedure.
Hair Sampling Procedure (PDF 233KB)
How to apply
- Complete the Request for Hair Drug Analysis form (PDF 119KB)
- Email to forensicadministration [at] sa.gov.au (subject: Request%20for%20Hair%20Drug%20Analysis)
- Post the sealed sample to FSSA
Road Traffic Act blood samples
Results of blood samples analysed under this Act will normally be posted to the driver within three weeks.