Forensic Science SA (FSSA) provides services to some of South Australia’s largest government departments and undertakes award-winning research in forensic science.
Contact Forensic Science SA
21 Divett Place, Adelaide SA 5000
9am - 5pm (out-of-hours deliveries must be pre-booked)
GPO Box 2790, Adelaide SA 5001
08 8226 7700
forensicadministration [at] sa.gov.au
08 8226 7777
Hair drug testing
Hair testing can show drug use within a particular time period if concentration is high enough to be detected.
Who should apply?
- Health professionals
- Police officers
- Accredited workplace drug testing agencies
Hair types and collection
Request a collection kit and instructions
Fees and payment
Payment is required before the hair can be analysed. The cost includes a report but not an interpretative report or court appearance time.
You can pay by:
- cheque (made out to Forensic Science SA)
- credit card - call Forensic Science SA on 08 8226 7700 or use the bpoint payment system.
follow these prompts if using bpoint:
- Biller Code: Forensic Services
- Full Name: person paying for the testing
- Contact number/email: if FSSA needs to contact you
- Customer reference: subject’s name – eg the donor
- Amount (AUD): depending on the amount of segments
Drugs covered by the test
|Drug||Lower limit of reporting* (pg/mg||Uppper limit of reporting# (pg/mg)|
|delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)||20||
|3,4- methylenedioxy-methamphetamine (MDMA)||20||2500|
|3,4 methylenedioxyamhetamine (MDMA)||20||2500|
|benzoylecgonine (metabolite of cocaine)||20||2500|
|6-monoacetylmorphine (metabolite of heroin)||20||2500|
|7-aminoclonazepam (metabolite of clonazepam)||Reported as present only||Reported as present only|
|7-aminoflunitrazepam (metabolite of flunitrazepam)||Reported as present only||Reported as present only|
|7-aminonitrazepam (metabolite of nitrazepam)||Reported as present only||Reported as present only|
* Concentrations lower than the LLOR will be reported as 'not detected'
# Concentrations above the ULOR will be reported as 'greater than (ULOR)'
Note that the screening of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is performed using a separate procedure.
Hair sampling procedure
Use the collection kit provided by FSSA and follow the hair sampling procedure.
Hair Sampling Procedure (PDF 233KB)
How to apply
- Complete the Request for Hair Drug Analysis form (PDF 119KB)
- Email to forensicadministration [at] sa.gov.au (subject: Request%20for%20Hair%20Drug%20Analysis)
- Post the sealed sample to FSSA
Road Traffic Act blood samples
Results of blood samples analysed under this Act will normally be posted to the driver within three weeks.