If you are concerned about a council action or decision you can contact your local council to discuss the matter further.

The Office of Local Government cannot help with complaints about specific councils.

You can contact your local council, or your local elected council member, to make a complaint if you:

  • are concerned about a council action or decision
  • believe the council or its employees are not acting in accordance with council policies, procedures or legislative requirements.

Many issues can be sorted out relatively quickly by approaching the council or your council member in the first instance and finding out the reasons for an action or decision.

Visit the Local Government Association of South Australia website for contact details for all councils in the state.

Internal review

If you cannot resolve the matter this way, you may ask the council in writing for an internal review.

Under section 270 of the Local Government Act 1999, all councils must have a policy and procedures for reviewing their decisions and actions.

The council is required to provide you with information about how this review works and what it means for you.

Ombudsman SA

If you are dissatisfied with the council's review, you can contact the South Australian Ombudsman, who investigates complaints about councils and state government agencies.

Details on how to make a complaint can be found on the Ombudsman SA website.

Office for Public Integrity

If you have evidence of corruption, misconduct or maladministration on the part of a council or its staff, you should contact the Office for Public Integrity (OPI).

OPI manages complaints and reports about public administration and ensures they are dealt with by the relevant body.

Visit the OPI website for more information.

Codes of Conduct

Code of Conduct for Council Members (PDF 206KB)

Code of Conduct for Council Employees (PDF 41KB)