Go to top of page

Information for Justices of the Peace

Latest news and factsheets

The Advance Care Directives Act 2013 (SA) changes the Consent to Medical Treatment and Palliative Care Act 1995 (SA), and came into effect on 1 July 2014. These changes pave the way for a rights-based, person-centered approach to decision-making.

The new Advance Care Directive (ACD) Form replaces the Medical Power of Attorney, Anticipatory Direction and Enduring Power of Guardianship with a single ACD Form. The new ACD Form allows individuals to appoint one or more substitute decision-makers and clearly document their values, wishes and instructions with respect to their future health care, end of life, preferred living arrangements and other personal matters.

The following fact sheet Changes to Advance Care Directives – Information for Justices of the Peace has been developed to assist JPs to understand the changes and the new witnessing requirements. 

For more information about ACDs or to download the ACD Form or DIY ACD Kit visit the Advance Care Directives website.

Advance Care Directives (ACD) Training

As mentioned above, on 1 July 2014 the Advance Care Directives Act 2013 (SA) commenced.

TAFE SA is offering a witnessing of ACD course which explains the purpose of an ACD, who can make an ACD and the witnessing procedures that should be followed by authorised witnesses. Authorised witnesses of ACD’s include Justices of the Peace, lawyers, doctors, nurses, pharmacists, teachers and public servants of more than five years standing.

 For more information about the course visit the TAFE SA website.

    Who are Special Justices?

    Special Justices sit in the Magistrates and Youth Courts to hear minor matters. To become a Special Justice a person must be a JP and be selected to complete a TAFE SA course designed for Special Justices.

    If you are a JP and interested in becoming a Special Justice contact Justice of the Peace Services to check your eligibility.

      How can I volunteer as a JP?

      The Attorney-General's Department’s JP volunteer service operates from Monday to Friday at Chesser House, Level 2, 91-97 Grenfell Street Adelaide and is looking for JPs who are interested in offering their time either in the morning (9am to 1pm) or afternoon (1pm to 5pm) at least once a month. For more information or to register your interest contact Justice of the Peace Services.

      Councils, libraries, courts and community organisations also often provide a JP service to the community which you could become involved with. For more information contact your local council, library, court or community organisation.  

      Can I use the title "JP (Retired)"?

      JPs who resign after having served the office for 20 years can use the title “JP (Retired)”. Before you use this title check the Justice of the Peace Act 2005 and: