Go to top of page

Ex gratia payments

Former residents in state care who experienced sexual abuse can apply for an ex gratia payment.

On 28 May 2018, the Government of South Australia announced its intention to participate in the National Redress Scheme, a new program that will provide recognition, financial support and counselling to survivors of historical child sexual abuse that occurred in institutions.

Once implemented, this scheme will replace ex gratia payments. However, ex gratia payments are still available while the implementation details of the scheme are being finalised for South Australia.

About ex gratia payments

The government is giving former residents in state care the opportunity, as an alternative to legal action, to apply for some money to acknowledge their pain and suffering and to help their recovery. The money for which former residents in state care can apply is called an "ex gratia payment".

To make an application for an ex gratia payment under the Victims of Crime Act 2001, download all the relevant forms and documents outlined below. Please read the application guidelines before completing your application.


Post Care Support Services Relationships Australia SA and the Commissioner for Victims' Rights can help you to understand the ex gratia payment process and can help you to fill out your application. For contact details of these support services, please refer to the ‘where to get assistance’ section (page 7) of the  Application guidelines - ex gratia payment (PDF 85KB)

Who can receive an ex gratia payment?

To receive an ex gratia payment you must:

  • be over 18 years of age
  • have suffered sexual abuse as a child
  • have been in state care at the time of the sexual abuse.

Application and guidelines

List of institutions

A list of homes and institutions has been provided for reference only. This list was issued in 2005 by the Children in State Care Commission of Inquiry as part of its Interim Report. Please note this is not an exhaustive list. 

For further information about homes and institutions, you can also visit the federal government’s Find and Connect website. This website may provide you with updated and detailed information about the places of care where you may have spent time.

Police checks and statutory declaration forms

Application for copy of transcript of evidence - children in state care commission of inquiry

If you have problems accessing or downloading the forms, please contact the Attorney-General’s Department on (08) 8207 1771.

How to lodge your application

Once you have completed your application and copied the relevant documents, you can deliver or post your application to the Crown Solicitor. You should address your application as follows:

Children in State Care Application
Crown Solicitor
Level 9, 45 Pirie Street

Postal Address: GPO Box 464 ADELAIDE SA 5001